Monday, March 31, 2008

Muslim Painter - Basic Artist Statement

I work with oil paints, found objects, silkscreen, and graphic design. As I think about my next artistic venture, I am reminded that all art work is a process of expression and what distinguishes a visual artist from a non artist is that the artist has found some mode to express a feeling visually. When people look at artwork and feel that they wish that they could do that, what they really mean is that they wish they could evoke that feeling by simply making a visual piece of work.

When people see my work, I'd like them to learn something about themselves and the world. I begin a piece by asking myself what it is that I want the viewer to learn or understand. I then think of how is best to translate it into imagery. I primarily use religious and cultural imagery in my paintings. Islam is a huge part of my life and it is obvious when one meets me or sees my work. This is a reflection of who I am and what I have to offer to the world.

When my work is going well, I am filled with a sense of purpose and empowerment. I know a piece is done when it feels satisfied with the message and I no longer feel the urge to go back to it, when I want to show it.

What I'm working on currently is a series of images about motherhood. As a new mother of two, it overwhelms me, tires me and elates me. The feeling of these pieces should be universal and the message is the mother as the most ancient, ordinary, basic and beautiful martyr. I am also incorporating poetry into my paintings, as it feels right to do at this time.

The symbol of the olive tree pervades much of my work. It symbolizes stability, with deep and ancient roots, and it also branches out and out of a little nourishment provides nourishment for many. How similar is it to motherhood and humanity in its purist forms.

Contact:
abdala@gmail.com

No comments: